[TowerTalk] Noise figure in cascaded networks

Michael Tope Michael Tope <w4ef@pacbell.net>
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 07:33:58 -0700

Brian,

The formulas your a referring to only apply to systems
where the dominate noise contribution is from the receiver's
internal thermal noise (kTB contribution). Where there is
significant noise contribution is from the atmosphere, they
must be modified to include the sky temperature. If the sky
temperature is very large, it will effectively swamp out
contribution noise from the receiver and the feedline loss.

    e.g. Tsys = Ta + Tr

Where Tr is the receiver noise temperature (including feedline
loss), and Ta is the antenna noise temperature which includes
the sky contribution.

While you are correct that any feedline loss will degrade overall
S/N ratio, the question is by how much. In cases where the
system noise temperature is dominated by atmospheric noise
(Ta>>Tr), degradations due to feedline loss are negligible.