[TowerTalk] Tower Questions

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 11:55:24 EDT

In a message dated 04/12/2000 2:02:31 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Hank.Lonberg@Harrisgrp.com writes:

> I run into this same distinction every time I design an installation for a
>  client. In the end if the installation needs a building permit then the
>  documentation, submittals and design will have to comply with the building
>  code that is locally enforced. It has not been a common occurrence, in my
>  experience, to have the local building officials agree to accept a building
>  code or standard of manufacture they are not familiar with. What  you have
>  are two different standards or codes, one for the assurance of the design
of
>  the manufactured component, the tower, and the other for the assurance of
>  life safety of the general public with respect to the actual installation,
>  the local building code.

     Hank is quite right. Of course the TIA and UBC calculations are done
differently so that's part of the problem. The tower manufacturers run into
this too since they are more compliant with the TIA. I have a letter from
Rohn (around here somewhere) stating that for their purposes, they comply
with the UBC as well. (This is a broad statement of my recollection - lawyers
and engineers will certainly have their input.)

Cheers,   Steve    K7LXC
Tower Tech