[TowerTalk] In defense of crankups

Bill Heinzinger w9ol@dataflo.net
Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:12:09 -0500

I've used crankups for 30 years. I've never had any type of failure.

It's not overloaded, I rarely if ever raise it to full height. I never leave
it raised and leave my home. I watch for weather conditions.

Would I rather have a guyed, heavier duty, taller tower, CERTAINLY.
Can I put one on my small city lot. NEVER.
My tower, normally retracted to 60% of its full height is not as
objectionable to my neighbors as a guyed tower to the fully extended height
of my crankup.

My crankup is secured to my house at the top of the first section increasing
it's stability even more.
I can stand on my roof and perform maintenance on my antenna safely and
easily.
I get on the roof by climbing a ladder and not the tower.

I service and/or inspect my tower monthly. I would do that with a guyed
tower also.

Simply put, the only way that I can have a tower that very occasionally
reaches 65 feet is by utilizing a crankup.

All situations require compromise. All compromises must be understood and
their shortcomings correctly compensated for.

Failures of ANY tower system usually are caused by violating the
manufacturers ratings, inattention to detail, and a lack of prudence.

I'll accept intelligent replies, flames, I'll just delete and ignore.

---------
It's so simple to be wise.  Just think of something stupid to say and then
don't say it.

Bill, http://www.dataflo.net/~w9ol
      w9ol@dataflo.net