[TowerTalk] Vertical/Crank up questions

Eric Gustafson n7cl@mmsi.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:52:41 -0700

Hi Dave,

>From: thompson@mindspring.com
>Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2000 18:38:48 -0400
>
>So far I have one reply and one query.   The questions were:
>
>1.    Do I need to strap the crank up sections?

Not if the tower section bearing surfaces are metallic and
connected to the tower structure.  In that case, strapping is
completely unnecessary.

A more significant thing to worry about is how to control the
dress and tower connection for the feedline and control cables so
that they don't participate inappropriately in the vertical
antenna aspects of the system.  With a crank-up, it isn't
possible to run them inside the tower structure.

>      One said he would try it without.
>

>2.    Do I need to break up the guys?
>
>      Reading the N4KG article in June 1994 QST Tom says you
>      "must" break up the guys. Or replace with non conductive
>      guys!

I wouldn't guy a crank-up unless the tower had latches to permit
removing the load from the pull-up cable once the tower was
extended (and the manufacturer said that the latches could take
the loads of a guyed system).

If you do use guys, at a minimum they should not be connected to
the tower.  Beyond that, they should be broken if they are at or
near resonance on the band you want to use the tower as a
vertical radiator for.  Of course, they will interfere with
everything less if they are non-conductive.

73, Eric  N7CL