[TowerTalk] Best Coax (Matching 50 to 75 Ohms)

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 10:30:43 -0600

Good information on series coaxial transformers Gerald (K5GW).

Re: Connectors, at HF, I just take the cheap and easy solution:

Solder the center conductors together, solder a ground lug on
the braid of the flexible line, and hose clamp it to the shield
of the hardline.  Turn the  cables upward and top with a taped
plastic pill bottle, open on the bottom to allow air in / out.

During the past 22 years at this QTH, such splices have proven
to be the MOST RELIABLE.   Every type of home brew CATV
connector I have built has failed due to moisture getting in the
adapter and eventually burning / shorting out when 1KW of RF
at the wrong frequency is inadvertently applied during the heat
of a contest or DX quest!

Regarding stacks, it seems easier to just use an odd multiple of
1/4 WL  75 Ohm line to raise the 50 Ohm antennas to 112 Ohms
and then parallel back to 56 Ohms.

de  Tom  N4KG

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.