[TowerTalk] Is This Grounding Plate Construction OK?

DavidC DavidC" <eDoc@netzero.net
Sat, 15 Apr 2000 20:08:03 -0400

I am ready to construct the grounding plate for my lightning
protection system and have just acquired some 1/4 inch thick
(approx.) copper plates.

One is 7.5" wide x 21.5" long, the other two are "L" shaped
6.5" wide x 14" on each side.

They appear to have been removed from some sort of equipment.
All three have some bolt holes and are largely covered with blue
plastic, which I will of course remove.

Questions:

1.  The copper has a thin gray metal plating, what might that
     be and do I need to remove it for this application?

2.  If I were to mount Polyphaser devices on both legs of one "L",
     then bolt and braze the long piece to the bottom as the conduit
     to ground where it will be brazed to a pair of 8 foot copper rods
     would I be OK?

3.  Will the mass of the plate handle the angle or will the devices
     connected on the section of plate at a right angle to the ground rods
     be problematic?

Clear as mud?  Please request clarification if needed.  Sure will value
all input!

- Thanks! & 73, DavidC  K1YP in Hudson, FL

NetZero - Defenders of the Free World