[TowerTalk] Where can a person buy power poles 100' tall

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 02:51:22 EDT

In a message dated 15.04.00 20:29:32 Pacific Daylight Time, poster@gate.net
writes:

<<
 Where is the best place to buy them and is there any good systems that
 have been made to raise antennas up and down the side of one of them.

 Jack >>

I've covered this before but am glad to do it again.  I wish I could use
pictures.  This works on poles or heavy self supporting towers.  Add climbing
spikes to the pole--in case.  This concept is one of the best of all systems
I've ever seen and used.  Bolt 2 heavy angle aluminum arms with braces
parallel to each other at the top of the pole on opposite sides.  They are a
few inches longer than the diameter of the pole at the top and bottom.  Run
cables from the ends of 2 arms on one side to the ground and secure with 2
more braces.  The spacing of the cables is the same as 2 legs of a 10'
section of tower.  It slides up and down on these cables.  Add inserts to
reduce the diameter of the inside of the tower legs to fit the cable.  It
holds the rotator and mast out the top of the tower.  The hoisting cable to
the top of the pole goes to a covered big wheel pulley with cable guides on
top of the pole and back down the back side to a winch with a pony brake.  Or
use a counter weight equal to the tower, rotator and beam.  It rides a
carriage on 2 identical cables on the backside.  The 10' tower section and
beam rides up and down on these cables much like the Hazer does on tower
legs.

The rotator and coax cables need to be properly supported at the bottom of
the tower.  Then run a messenger cable that takes the weight and strain of
the coax and rotator cable to the ground that is also secured to prevent it
from blowing around.  It's a great system.  k7gco

W6LI had this on a heavy self supporting 100' tower which I have pictures of.
 he had a winch and pony brake.  I saw him drop it 100' to the ground with a
bid 20M beam in 20 seconds.  It came screaming down the tower and about 2/3
down he applies the brake in a gradual pressure so that it decelerated to a
gradual and gentle 2 point landing.  I had to visit the bathroom.  WZeroOEV
had one on a pole 50 years ago.  W6RO made a metal track on the side of a
pole.  I like the cables and their compression is no problem for the pole or
a heavy self supporting tower..  Load the cables for a vertical antenna.

I'm looking for a winch with a pony brake on it now myself.  Anyone know of a
source?  This is a great system for testing antennas as the up and down time
is short.