[TowerTalk] GAS604 screw anchor...

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:48:03 EDT

In a message dated 04/20/2000 7:04:02 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
rrossi@btv.ibm.com writes:

> My Rohn catalog does not give any data for the GAS604 screw anchor. All I
can
>  find anywhere is with the item description "screw anchor 2500 pound". I
would
>  guess that this is the holding strength in "normal undisturbed cohesive
soil".
>  Is there an engineering document from Rohn (or elsewhere) that someone
could
>  e-mail or fax me an image of??

       The AB Chance Company publishes the "Encyclopedia of Anchoring"
(573-682-5521 and it's free) which shows there are eight different soil
classifications with "Probe values" in in-lbs. But short of doing a soil
test, it's hard to say what your conditions would be.

      The Chance 'encyclopedia' is interesting reading but of limited
practical value.

      The main concern for the Rohn screw-in anchors is that the 3/16" EHS is
rated at 4000 pound breaking strength and the anchor is only rated at 2500
pounds. Obviously the anchor is going to pull long before the guywire breaks.
Screw-in anchor creep is another real problem. Bottom line? Install regular
concrete anchors instead. IMO screw-in anchors are for TEMPORARY use only.

       To answer your question about the existence of Rohn documentation,
I've never seen any and I doubt that it's available.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech