[TowerTalk] Strongest mast material?

Stan or Patricia Griffiths w7ni@teleport.com
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 11:53:13 -0700

Hi Mike,

Most any book on metals should tell you which one has the highest Yield
Strength which is the spec you want to look at.  The supplier should be
able to give you that number.

As far as putting 20 feet of a 22 foot mast out the top, it sounds pretty
risky to me.  I think that is way too much out the top (depending on what
you put on it, of course).  I have 10 feet of an 18 1/2 foot mast out the
top on two towers and this is about as far as I would want to go with
it.  You really need to get a professional engineer involved with
calculating the tower stresses and mast stresses to make sure it will
take it.  I can't imagine a very safe procedure for getting it in place
with the loads on it other than using a crane which is expensive.  I also
can't imagine a good way to get a rotator out from under it for
maintenance without tearing the whole installation apart to do it.  Be
careful on this one, Mike . . .

Stan  w7ni@teleport.com