[TowerTalk] Bev with parallel gnd wires

alsopb alsopb@gloryroad.net
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 22:50:58 +0000

Guys,

Misek's W1WCR book "The Beverage Antenna Handbook" states the
following:

"My work with wave antennas indicates that wave antennas should be set
up over as nearly lossless ground as possible.  Accordingly, my have
antennas have parallel ground wires installed along their lenghts in
order to minimise ground losses"

This seems to run contrary to ON4UN's book which shows much less
signal output for highly conductive grounds.  I gathered that Beverage
antennas actually worked better over poorly conducting ground.

Question:  Has anybody in practice used these parallel ground wires?

The reason I ask is that Misek claims that lossy ground can cause
seasional and even daily variations in antenna impedance.  I have
notice the difference between soaking wet/dry days in directivity.
Maybe Misek's ground wires will reduce this effect.

73 de Brian/K3KO