[TowerTalk] Re: Tower Talk Digest V3 #139

barry kirkwood bjk@ihug.co.nz
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 17:39:22 +1200

Greetings from ZL.
I have been reading the 160m antenna thread with great interest and would be
appreciate in advice/opinions on 80/160m antennas for my site.
QTH is 300ft above beach with ground sloping away steeply to my North
(shortpath EU, USA) and more gradually in all other directions. My lot is
about 60ft wide E-W (across the slope) with a row of 60ft pine trees across
the South boundary. House is sited close to South boundary which is where
most of the antennas should be. Soil is predominantly clay/rock.

I am just getting into serious DXing after years working from a small city
lot in the rare time that pressure of work permitted. Now retired from
regular work.

Have used an inverted L 1/4 wave on 80 pulled up in the pine trees, running
against about 30 random elevated radials. Results seem quite satisfactory by
comparison with locals. Will try loops or the like on receive in due course
as S/N on the inv L on rx definitely poor by comparison with short
horizontal dipoles or even random wires close to ground.

My shack is in a corrugated iron shed about size of 5-6 car garage which
could provide a fair groundplane for a roof mounted antenna.

ON4UN suggests that verticals may not be the way to go if in an elevated
location. Neighbours might be cooperative in letting my run legs of inverted
vee for 160 with apex around 60ft, ends around 15-20ft.

Any ideas? BTW, am just erecting 40ft lattice tower for C4-SXL. Presumably
this could be used with loading wire hoisted for 80/160 operation, giving
possibility of some directivity from parasitic wires hoisted in the trees.

73 es DX
Barry ZL1DD
end
Barry (Baz) Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD ex ZL1BN, ZL4OK etc
Signal Hill
STOP AT SIGNAL HILL HOMESTAY B&B
Palm Beach                                     ON BEAUTIFUL WAIHEKE ISLAND
Waiheke Island 1240                   ONLY 35 MINUTES FERRY RIDE FROM
DOWNTOWN AUCKLAND
NEW ZEALAND
Ph/Fax 64-9-372-5161
www.waiheke.co.nz/signal.htm