[TowerTalk] 160M Wire Antenna

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 21:10:20 -0400

> I'd have to disagree with your statement "That's true for a low dipole
> also".  I'm using ELNEC (perhaps not perfect at low elevations), but a
> dipole at any height from 30 feet to 100 feet shows about 4-6 db
> directivity in the azimuth plane at 30 degrees elevation, where an
> inverted vee shows essentially zero.  Not a huge amount obviously, but
> clearly different.  Are you seeing something otherwise?

Hi Bill,

My model agrees with yours.

I was considering losses in the system. While at low heights to
medium heights you do have a more circular pattern at some
angle, you also have less efficiency. The actual difference in FS is
less than 3dB between the two straight off the ends.

Low dipoles are not all that directive even in the best case, and if
you stuff the ends near the earth you can easily loose anything you
gain off the ends to increased loss in all directions.

My high inverted V dipoles show considerable null off the ends, as
a regular dipole. They certainly aren't omni or near omni at all.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com