[TowerTalk] Rope ?

K3GM k3gm@home.com
Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:19:08 -0400

>In your opinion, which is the best type to use for hauling up and letting
>down Rohn 45G while using a gin pole ? ? ?   Where can one get a good
>block
>and tackle rig from ? ? ?

>Dennis, W4DWS

Dennis,

I would recommend the use of static climbing rope.  The stuff I use is of
the "kernmantle" variety, that is a core of fibers such as Kevlar and nylon
fibers surrounded by a woven nylon jacket.  Static line has very low stretch
characteristics and is extremely strong.  As an example for  a typical 7/16
diameter static line:

elongation rating of less than 2% per 200 feet
weight 5.5 lbs (2.5 kg) per 100 feet (that's light!)
minimum break strength 6,000 lbf. (26.9 kN)

7/16" static line runs about $.70 per foot., but it's available in quite a
few different diameters and colors.  Avoid the expense of NFPA
certification, special colored threads embedded in the rope which are
traceable in case it parts.  You don't need it for hauling up steel :)

By the way, this stuff is excellent for use in  body lanyards.  I make my
own using static line and carabiners.

And don't get this stuff confused with "dynamic" line which is the stretchy
variety.

7  3, Tom K3GM