[TowerTalk] Arrival angles and sunspot number

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 10:32:15 -0400

> >But Pete, you have me confused. What is an isotropic source with
> >gain, and how can you have one near earth?
>
> It's like an uggerumph, I suspect.  In VOACAP, it is called a "constant
> gain isotrope."  If you could see it, it would look like a perfect
> hemisphere with equal gain in every direction.
>
> The beauty, of course, is that it adds no biases to the propagation
> prediction at all, other than whatever amount of path gain you add at
> either end.  No nulls at very low angles, or above the first lobe, to cut
> into the received signal strength at those angles.

Great! Now I see.

What did that do to the wave angle predictions?

My ARRL Antenna Book uses the "inverted V dipoles at 100 ft"
antennas (which are really like a regular dipole at maybe 70 foot)
for predictions for 80-30 meters.

Is the newer info available somewhere without buying a new book?

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com