[TowerTalk] Arrival angles and sunspot number

k6ll@juno.com k6ll@juno.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 09:57:20 -0600

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:27:31 +0000 Pete Smith <n4zr@contesting.com>
writes:

> If I recall the e-mail exchanges I
> had with
> Dean back then correctly, his stats used the "best mode" output of
> IONCAP.
> Hence even if there were high-angle propagation modes available,
> they are
> unlikely to appear in the stats because other modes will be
> stronger.

But, when the MUF is at 40Mhz, the best path on 14Mhz IS the
high angle path, because of D layer absorption on the low
angles. Those high angles will be included in Dean's
statistics, but most operators will be on 10 meters, having a
blast!

Instead of using the old files, as I previously suggested, it's
probably better to somewhat discount those outlier 2 to 5%
statistics that show up at the highest angles. The new files have
a lot of them. This advice doesn't apply to 10 meters, and doesn't
apply if you consistently operate well below the MUF, such as the
20 meter station at a multiop. This all sounds like pretty arcane
stuff, but it's critical to deciding how tall to make your tower.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ
K6LL@juno.com