[TowerTalk] Scaled Antenna

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 13:55:27 EDT

In a message dated 24.04.00 18:23:00 Pacific Daylight Time,
w8ji@contesting.com writes:
<<
 Ever try to do a dipole feedpoint on 440 MHz (the freq they used)
 with regular size coaxial cables?
 73, Tom W8JI
 w8ji@contesting.com

    You are right about that.  You need a tighter tolerance hat on when one
works with 450 MHz antennas.  Even a bazooka for a balanced feedpoint is
harder to make at 450 MHz.  I like scaling to 97 MHz (center) of the FM band
and use a FM receiver with S meter for my FS Meter.  I also have a JFD TV/FM
FS meter.  On the FM band which I do DXing, there are many stations all over
at different distances for comparisons on 24 hours a day.  It's a great
antenna testing band for scaling.  I can check F/B 9 MHz higher and lower
across the band than my design scaling frequency of 97 MHz.  Commercial FM
and TV transmit antennas used to be all horizontally polarized but not
anymore.  One has to find out what polarization they are or an antenna can
look bad.  I have a beam with 6 instantly selectable polarizations (2 of them
are clockwise and counter clockwise turnstile) and can determine what they
are.  At certain distances some stations can have polarization shifts also
that changes during the day.  FM band antennas are easy to scale compared to
450 MHz.   K7GCO