[TowerTalk] 40-2CD Mods/Coil covers

W4nf@aol.com W4nf@aol.com
Tue, 25 Apr 2000 15:24:55 EDT

Hello all,

I'm down to the last part of the W6QHS (? call) mods for the beam.  I
modified the coils by removing the sheet metal screws that terminate the coil
on to the element and drilled completely thru and inserted a SS screw and
nylon insert nut in its place.  In doing so I had to cut a portion of the
shrink tubing that covers the coil.  I tried to slip 1" heat shrink tubing
over the whole assembly but the new screw and nylon insert nut stick out to
far for it to go over.  So I ordered the next size McMaster and Carr had
which was 1 1/2" dia shrink tubing.  This fit over OK (in fact real loose)
but did not shrink down small enough to provide a good seal.  So, today I
reordered some 1 1/2" shrink tubing that is suppose to shrink down more (3:1
shrink ratio).  I hope this works.  Anyone have any other approaches or
sources for say 1 1/4" shrink tubing.  Thanks and 73, Jack W4NF