[TowerTalk] ground rods for towers

Bob Wanderer aa0cy@VRINTER.NET
Mon, 31 Jul 2000 21:12:51 -0400

This system was used by the Las Vegas (Nevada) Metropolitan
Police Dept to protect their repeaters up on the 7000'
mountains surrounding the city.  It is described in the
"grounds" book too.  Since the installation, the police have
never lost any gear to lightning-induced surges.

I would suggest as many radials as possible, rather than
limiting it to four, and using as wide a strap as possible.
Going past 50~75 feet (per radial) is, as Joe mentions,
unnecessary.  You can also use rocks and whatever to cover
the radials so no one trips on them.  This will also help
the efficiency of the system as the way it promarily works
is that the high E field on the edges "arc and spark" over
to the ground and rocks.

If you have "some" topsoil, you may want to consider using
coke breeze or other enhancing material.  Coke breeze is the
remains of using coke for electricuty generating devices.  I
am aware of one source in Utah, but I am sure there are
others.  PolyPhaser may have that information.

Good luck.

73
Bob AA0CY
former PolyPhaser Technical Consultant