[TowerTalk] ground rods for towers

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 1 Aug 2000 09:04:51 EDT

In a message dated 08/01/2000 4:44:43 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
smidtca@sprint.ca writes:

> I obtained a 150 ft, left-over, end of 3/0 TWU cable from an electrical
>  supply house. I was going to strip it of insulation and use it for my
>  relocated tower and also for equipment grounding purposes, but with all the
>  talk about copper strapping I am getting worried. Did I buy the wrong
stuff?
>  It cost a mint and can't be returned. I don't believe wide copper straps
are
>  available here in Sussex, N. B.

    Go ahead and use it. You'll still get good contact with earth by using
it. Copper strapping is recommended where the soil is very rocky since it has
a bigger contact area than a piece of wire does. If your soil is real rocky,
you could use two runs of wire or more to each ground rod to give you more
contact area and essentially the same end result.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech