[TowerTalk] Roof Towers

Chuck Mills millscl+@pitt.edu
Fri, 04 Aug 2000 09:22:08 -0400

I have a Glenn Martin RT424 tower and it performs great but, to reiterate
what some others have said: grounding is difficult.  I run a #4 wire down to
a ground rod and have the equipment to ground the coax and install lightning
arrestors.  Bottom line is my grounding is inadequate and will never be
"adequate" do to some factors.  Plan your grounding carefully...you will be
making compromises no matter what with this type of install so plan it out
so you can  minimize them.

Chuck / W3YNI
http://www.qsl.net/w3yni
-----Original Message-----
From: owner-towertalk@contesting.com
[mailto:owner-towertalk@contesting.com]On Behalf Of KIRK LAWRENCE
Sent: Thursday, August 03, 2000 6:48 PM
To: towertalk@contesting.com
Subject: [TowerTalk] Roof Towers

                   Has anyone had experience in using a tri-bander on
top of your roof with a
                   roof tower mount? Have been looking to put up my TA-
34XL, but if I choose
                   to mount it on a roof tower (such as a Glen Martin 10
footer) will I have any
                   distortions in the pattern or swr problems if it is only
10 ft. from the roof
                   line? I called Mosley and didn't really get a convincing
answer, but they
                   stated that anything beyond 7ft from the antenna
shouldn't affect it at all. If
                   I choose a roof mount, the antenna would be approx
40 to 45ft high (from
                   ground level). I would like some real "hands-on"
answers from those who
                   have been there.   I realize that the Tri-bander setting
in the garage works better in the air (hi hi), but should I consider
waiting until I could afford a crank-up (which would be in about a
year)?  What I want to try an avoid is the "geeze I should have just
waited" senerio.  I do have a dipole and vertical that currently work
well, just would like to get out a little better and I realize I could
with the beam.  AND....what advice for roof mounted towers??
Lightning protection, etc.  Any  help would be appreciated......73
Kirk AB8B