[TowerTalk] Rohn 25G screw-in guys

Ford Peterson ford@cmgate.com
Fri, 4 Aug 2000 20:52:43 -0500

I have a 68' tiltover that was installed last summer.  My loose gauge was
used to set the tension to 380lb or so on all 8 guys.  Last fall, the whole
system was tweeked to retension after a few up and downs to do antenna work.
Early winter, tweeked again.

I just checked it earlier this evening and was STUNNED!  The tension was
under 100lb on all guys.

My concern is the Fleet-farm special screw-in guy anchors.  They are the 4
foot variety with about a 6" disk.  No data.  None available from Fleet Farm
in terms of what they will hold.

They are screwed in at the appropriate angle to the guys.  Do these things
let go when anchored into loamy soil?  I should have checked them earlier
and ASS-u-ME-d they were still tight.  I saw them flopping in the wind and
checked them immediately.

If anybody has data on these generic anchors--better yet--personal
experience of them failing, let me know.  I don't want to lose a tower due
to trying to save a few lousy dollars on hardware!

Ford--N0OQW
ford@cmgate.com