[TowerTalk] 4 square arrays

n4kg@juno.com n4kg@juno.com
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 05:16:34 -0600

As others have also indicated, current flow into a severly tapered
element is minimal, meaning that a thin tube at the end of a thick
element provides little additional loading.  You need a capacity hat
or fat element to effectively extend a conductor.

A 90 ft tower and 3L20 makes a nice 160M top loaded vertical.
How about 4 towers, plus 4 - 3L20's aimed in 4 directions, no rotors?
Gives you an efficient 160M radiator plus instant switching for world
wide coverage when 20M is open to all continents late at night during
high sunspot condx.

Some 40 ft towers and 10 or 15M beams would do nicely on 80M.

de  Tom  N4KG

On Wed, 09 Aug 2000 Bruce Makas <k1my@nlis.net> writes:

> I've decided to go with 4 verticals and the Comtek boxes rather than
> the
> wire as has been suggested recently here. Is there any information
> available from those who have constructed a 160 meter 4 square array
> from
> Rohn 25G and aluminum tubing? If anyone has experience I'd love to
> learn
> from your experience. I'm also going to do the same on 80 meters.
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> 73, Bruce K1MY (soon to be K1MY/7)

Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!
http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.