[TowerTalk] Collins vs Modified Lewallen Feed Method

dan hearn dhearn@ix.netcom.com
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:27:32 -0700

Hi Mike: When I lived in Dallas, I used a 4 sq system for about 15 years
on 80 SSB and CW. The first 11 years I used 4 Hytowers with the stubs
removed and a  hybrid coupler phasing system with some success. There
was noticeable deterioration of performance on CW vs SSB where it was
tuned.
  I then did a rebuild. The tubing stingers on the towers were connected
at the top of the towers and extended for resonance at 3650khz. The
measured bandwidth of the verticals was considerably greater with this
change and I used the array for a year in that configuration with
improved results.
  During this time, I used a 4 channel oscilloscope with 4 equal length
coax lines to toroidal sampling transformers at each tower base for
measuring current amplitude and phase in the verticals. I did not find
it possible to get the currents in the 90 deg verticals closer then
15-20% in amplitude and phase to the 0 and 180 deg verticals. IMO the
hybrid coupler ports are not terminated in 50 ohms in the 4 sq and it is
amazing to me that this system works as well as it does.
  Now, the importand part: I decided to build something to allow me to
set both current and phase for the 90 deg antennas. I built a Lewallen
LC phaser which could be adjusted and a tapped autotransformer (ferrite
core) for amplitude adjustment. With this system, I was able to put the
phase and amplitude to the exact desired values. However, the
adjustments held only over a fairly narrow frequency range. I planned to
build a second unit for CW and relay switch them but personal plans
caused a move to the northwest(Spokane) and the system was dismantled
after a years use. Did this phasing system work well? You bet it did. I
felt that my DX signal was better than with the hybrid coupler. This
system was good for 39z from Dallas and the other one came after the
move to Spokane, Hi.(Tnx, JT1CO),
73, Dan, N5AR