[TowerTalk] 4-Square Configurations

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 13:00:07 -0400

That's one of the MANY reasons I avoid small numbers of elevated
radials Yuri.

The radial system radiates a considerable amount in the nearfield
area, the strength of induction fields is very large around the
radials. They produce strong electric and magnetic fields, the fewer
the radials the stronger the fields near each radial.

Because of that, they induce lots of unwanted signal into any other
conductor near the radials. If that conductor happens to be another
antenna, and if the transmitter has poor output filtering, you can
generate mixing products in the output device that re-radiate.

A second problem is common mode currents. As far as feedline
currents, small ground systems on Marconi antennas really
aggravate the problem. It often requires multiple chokes on the
feedline to clean the system up. It doesn't take much common
mode current to screw up a modern radio, in particular because the
microphone grounds and keyer grounds are often not grounded at
all at the case entrance of the radio.

***The same problems can occur center feeding vertical dipoles,
where a single choke at the feedpoint often isn't enough.

It doesn't surprise me that they had problems in a multi-multi.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com