Fw: Re: [TowerTalk] Weather Balloon Source

Dave Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 11:55:45 -0600

Here's some useful info from WA7BNM on the subject that I am
forwarding to the reflector, and here's some further analysis:

Bruce says below that two 30" balloons will lift a 160 wire adequately.
That's 28,273 cubic inches of Helium.

My experiment with one 30" balloon, 14,137 cubic inches of
Helium, failed to lift the wire adequately.

One 5 foot balloon, inflated to 50", contains 65,450 cubic inches
of Helium, which should be more than enough to do the job!

The volume of a sphere is a function of the cube of the radius,
so a slightly bigger balloon carries a lot more Helium.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear, CA
K6LL@juno.com