[TowerTalk] Tuners

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 20:30:11 -0400

> Hi all....In your opinion, who CURRENTLY makes the best hi-power antenna
> tuner on the market??? Thanks....Al/W8FAX

Hi Al,

I was involved with the ATR-30, so you can consider me prejudiced
if you like.... but here are the facts.

I used to use KW Matchboxes, I have several. The matchboxes are
now all put away.

The plus side:

1.) The ATR30, into reasonable loads, with handle well over 5000
watts on CW and SSB. It will handle near that amount on 160
meters. It doesn't even need a fan, or vent holes, because loss in
the tuner is very low.

2.) It has a good current balun, the best kind of balun.

3.) It has an accurate peak reading meter with long storage time
that will even detect the failure of relay to close quickly, or a
momentary arc...or you can select fast mode and read average
power.

4.) It is adequately shielded.

On the minus side:

1.) Matching range is restricted from a few ohms to about 600
ohms or so on 160 meters.

2.) Like all T tuners, power is derated into low impedance and
capacitive reactance loads on the lower bands. It still however, will
handle more than 1500 watts.

Quite honestly it matches a wider impedance range than the old
KW Matchboxes, and handles more power. The downside of that is
you have to watch the load impedance so the voltages don't get too
high, but I figure it's better to match and not run extreme QRO than
to not be able to use a certain feedline antenna combo at all.

The wattmeter reads 300 watts or 3000 watts, by the way.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com