[TowerTalk] Fw: KT34-XA self resonant

Michael Tope Michael Tope <w4ef@pacbell.net>
Wed, 16 Aug 2000 22:54:34 -0700

Rod,

These figures are from Mike Stahl's old engineering
notebook (c. 1978 I think). Dunno about the problem
on 15 meters. This maybe do to mixing up of dimensions.
It is my understanding that there are several versions
of physical dimensions for the KT34XA. I believe this
is due to changes in the insulator/capacitor tube design
that occured as a result of UV stability problems in
the original insulator design. The updated insulator/
capacitor tube design required some slight adjustments
in the physical dimensions in order to acheive the same
electrical element lenghts. This can be seen if you
compare an old KT34XA assembly manual with a newer one.
For example, at W6UE, we have two KT34XA manuals. One is
obviously newer than the other as it has "Mirage"
plastered on it, along with a newer address for the
KLM plant. The dimensions in each manual differ
slightly. When I asked Mike Stahl about this he said
that if I had the newer blue cap insulators, that I should
use the most recent set of dimensions as the changes in
cap design affected the dimensions. In either case,
I believe the electrical self resonant frequencies that
he gave me should hold. The 15 meter problem may be
the result of someone using the an older set of dimensions
with the newer physical design (or vice versa).

At any rate, our results at W6UE seem pretty good so far.
VSWR curves are good on all three bands and the antenna
seems to play like a directional antenna. In A/B tests
with a christmas tree of 5 element monobanders on 10/15/20
the KT34XA holds its own, although its tuff to make direct
comparisons as the tribander is a bit too high for this
portion of the sunspot cycle (114' versus 70'/80'/90' for
the monobanders).

Hope this is helpful.