[TowerTalk] More tower guy questions

Nat Davis ndavis@vt.edu
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 10:56:01 -0400

Thanks to all those that replied to my questions last week on whether or
not to guy my tower when I add a section of Rohn 25G to raise it from a 30'
bracketed tower (bracket at 15') to 40'.  The general feeling was that the
40' tower would probably be strong enough without guys but most advised
going ahead and guying it so as not to have to worry.

The Rohn catalog calls for the guys for a 40' tower to be attached at 35'
and the anchors to be 32' out from the base.  Guy tension would be 400
pounds (10% of 3/16" EHS breaking strength).

Due to other things being "in the way" of one guy anchor,  I may need to
bring the guy anchor locations in or out a few feet vs. Rohn's 32' (would
use the same distance from the tower for all 3).  How should I adjust the
guy tension if I do this?  At 32' and 400 pounds tension, my math says
there is about 295 pounds of downward force on the tower legs for each guy
wire (and 270 pounds horizontal).  Should this downward force be kept the
same (by increasing or decreasing the guy tension) if the location of the
anchor is moved in or out?    Is there some other tensioning rule?  IS
there a point where the anchor is a little "too close" to the base to be
effective?

Thanks again,

Nat Davis
N4EL