[TowerTalk] More tower guy questions

Dave Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Thu, 17 Aug 2000 08:56:56 -0600

I would attach the guys to the top of the tower, not 5' down.
The Rohn diagrams do that so you can mount dishes, sidearms
with whips, etc. near the top, like commercial users usually
do. With a yagi on top, the guys should near the top.

If you are going to keep the horizontal spacing equal for all
three legs, adjust all the tensions to 400 pounds. 400
pounds is the nominal compromise for 3/16" EHS between sag,
stretch, and breaking strength.

When you tighten the guys, I would loosen the u-bolts slightly
on the house bracket to make sure you don't put any downward force
on the bracket.

You said you have to adjust the anchor distance only a few feet, in
or out. That amount of adjustment won't affect the guying strength much.
If you can move the anchors OUT, rather than IN, that would be better.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear, CA
K6LL@juno.com