[TowerTalk] Yaesu Rotor

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 10:46:17 +0000

At 12:02 AM 8/19/00 -0400, James P. Cassidy wrote:

>Just a couple more cents to throw in, would it be possible to pin the mast
>but use a bolt or whatever that would ultimately shear before too much
>stress was put on the rotor?  Not sure how that could be determined but it
>could be a mechanical fuse to keep from really tearing things up
>I recall once trying to pin a mast for no rotation and it was fairly easy
>to shear it off without too much force.

When I put up my first Yaesu rotator I inadvertently drilled the hole off
center in the mast.  The stock, fairly sturdy bolt wouldn't go through, and
so I wound up using a pretty spindly substitute.  I consoled myself with
the thought that it might act as a "fuse" as Jim suggests, but it hasn't
sheared in 4 years.  The total worst-case wind torque of the two antennas
on it is only 490 inch-pounds at 70 mph, though, so it may not have been
seriously tested.

Incidentally, the G-1000 is rated at >500 inch-pounds rotation torque and
>5000 inch-pounds braking torque, so I'm pretty sure that my antennas can't
exert enough torque to damage it, even if firmly pinned to the mast clamps.

73, Pete Smith N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database
is back up and running at
http://www.qsl.net/n4zr