[TowerTalk] Ground Rods into Concrete Stubs

Ed - K0iL K0IL <k0il@arrl.net>
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 07:54:15 -0500

> > Thursday, August 17, 2000, 11:10:07 PM, you wrote:
> > MF> I'm in the process of getting a tower put in, a 48' Rohn HDBX.
> > MF> Is there any reason that I can't take and attach 3 ground rods to
the BOTTOM
> > MF> of the base stubs (that are buried in the concrete)?  That would
put them
> > MF> another 4-5 feet down.
> > MF> I am planning on also putting in some more ground rods (8 footers I
imagine)
> > MF> in the immediate vicinity also.

A Ufer ground such as you're asking about might be more trouble than it is
worth in my recent experience.  You may, depending on your soil
composition, be setting yourself up for galvanic corrosion by placing
galvanized steel in contact or even close proximity to copper rods with
both contacting the soil.  I would NOT attach the copper ground rods
directly to the Rohn Concrete stubs (galvanized steel), nor would I place
galvanized rods in  place of the copper rods with additional copper rods
near the base.  Doing so might be asking for accelerated corrosion
problems.

For a background explanation; at work we are in the process of replacing
guy anchors on most if not all of our commercial 300' to 500' towers due to
galvanic reaction.  We had "C" channel guy anchors in contact with the soil
with below grade concrete anchors.  The guys wires were grounded using
copper ground rods per industry standards (Motorola R56).  Bad idea,
especially in southeastern Nebraska where the soil composition accelerated
the corrosion process.  In less than 15 years, maybe only 12, the corrosion
caused a 1.5" hole and 4" of very thin area overall in a 6" C-channel.  You
could flake off the steel with your fingernail.  Even in areas where the
soil composition was less damaging, we still have so much pitting and loss
of steel that we're replacing the anchors anyway.  Some anchors where added
during upgrades less than 4 years ago and they already show signs of
pitting as well.

To counter this problem on the new legs, we're installing sacrificial
anodes (magnesium I think) and coating the new anchors with a roofing
compound so they will not directly contact the soil.  Also in the problem
soil areas we are using galvanized ground rods to ground the guys.  You can
read about galvanic corrosion on Anchorguard's web page at
http://www.anchorguard.com if you like.  Not associated with them, just
found the site very informative on the subject.  There are other vendors
selling these as well.  Good luck with your HDBX tower.

73,
de ed -K0iL
k0il@arrl.net