[TowerTalk] Conclusion: Ground Rods into Concrete

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Sat, 19 Aug 2000 16:31:41 -0400

> There were 3 basic points
> brought up.
>
> 1. Concrete could explode if the tower were hit by lightning.  Most agree
> this is a myth.

There are two cases I know of where this has happened on
commercial BC towers with concrete piers holding the legs. It
probably would be less of a worry on guyed towers.

I've seen ceramic insulators shatter from lightning, holes melted in
2-1/2 inch aluminum pipe, and feedlines with the jacket split apart.

It would be pure unvarnished foolishness to depend on a ground
inside a tower's concrete base when it is so easy to add a few rods
around the outside. That's especially true when there are multiple
arc paths inside the concrete, and surface area is small.

That would make a horrible lightning ground.
73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com