[TowerTalk] Stacks (optimizing gain at takeoff angle)

Ian White, G3SEK Ian White, G3SEK" <g3sek@ifwtech.com
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 07:33:09 +0100

 wrote:

>In a message dated 8/20/2000 2:42:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time, geoiii@kkn.net
>writes:
>
>de K3BU
>>  VHF operators know that it helps if the beam is tilted up about 10 - 15
>>  > degrees.
>>
>>  Would you please explain the above statement?
>>
>>  What band/bnads?
>>  What mode of propagation?
>>  How does it help?
>>

>I was told by VE3DSS (one of VE3ONT vhf contest bunch) that many 6m and 2m
>contesters found that tilting the boom up 10 to 15 degrees helped with signal
>levels. This was compared at the site with similar antenna with boom at the
>horizon.

It might help with short-skip Es on 6m (and occasionally 2m) but the
increasing number of people with full elevation capability for
moonbounce don't find it very useful routinely.

>I also I got one email stating that W6AM found this a fact.

We're back to HF again...

                           http://www.ifwtech.com/g3sek