[TowerTalk] Compromise Vertical antenna ground system?

Thor Hallen thorh@worldnet.att.net" <thorh@worldnet.att.net
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 09:11:00 -0700

You may want to consider one of the "half-wave vertical dipoles" such as
the Gap Titan or the Cushcraft R-8. These antennas do not depend on a
quality ground system and can be elevated above ground to reduce the ground
loss that any vertically polarized antenna has. The R-8 is not advertised
to work on 80 meters but it does a respectable job with an antenna tuner. I
have not had any problems driving mine with up to 500 watts PEP SSB or 250
watts continuous. IMHO, the Butternut propaganda on grounding is
technically wrong and misleading. This is easy to confirm with the EZNEC
antenna simulation program.

73,
Thor Hallen, K5AGE