[TowerTalk] Force 12 C-4E anecdote

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Tue, 22 Aug 2000 08:56:50 EDT

    I installed a Force 12 C-4E(H) for a buddy of mine, K7INA, here in
Washington State. He had a vertical before and is just starting to wring out
the C-4. It's easy for us in the NW corner of the States to be EU-challenged
but I thought I'd share his anecdotal experience with the antenna on 17M.
Needless to say, he's having a ball with his new antenna.

>> Some more bragging comin' up - but I also thought you would be interested
in some more information on the antenna's characteristics.

This weekend I was in Agnew (by myself) so I had more time than normal to
play radio.  Got the urge to try out 17 meters last night, so I hooked up
the tuner, got it to 1.1, beamed to EU (15M and 20M were wall-wall 59+ EU
signals).  Pretty weak on 17.  Then I remembered - the 40M element is the
17M reflector so you have to essentially beam long path on 17. (LXC - This
isn't quite accurate but he did get the reverse heading part right.)  Cut to
the chase, after a 4 1/2 hour pileup of almost contest-like QSOs,  99%
59+ reports, and being spotted several times on the DX Summit, I
cautiously concluded that it works great !  Really strange working EU and
seeing the rotor at 198 degrees !  It is just as sharp in directivity as
10/15/20 as well, only 5-10 degrees and signals really drop off.  My last
contact was YJ谹XC at 󰊎 with the beam at 62 degrees.  Next I will try
40 - Promise. >>

Cheers,    Steve   K7LXC