Re[2]: [TowerTalk] KLM-KT34XA Vs. ?? Recommendations

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:18:41 +0200

After having spent a lot of time (one year ago) in modeling the KT34 I
own, I came to the conclusion that little can be done in terms of gain,
and the 15m band will remain the less "positive" band of this antenna.
Often, computer modeling show good numbers associated with very
critical dimensions (or narrow bandwidth) but one should stay warned
about the software limitations or then, to the possibility to
practically realize such critical antennas, expecially when
unconventional traps are involved in the design.
No traps and different spacings of parasitic elements insure bigger
results than KT34 in terms of gain and F/B but if turning radius is a
matter and 20m gain a goal, this antenna is slightly better than other
tribanders.
On the contrary, on 15m band and concerning F/B I found other
tribanders performing better (or much better) than KT34.
Mechanically there are a lot of exposed joints in the traps/loading of
a KT34 and because of the exposed traps/loading system the KT34 is not
working with snow.

73
Mauri I4JMY

<towertalk@contesting.com>,   "Dave Hachadorian" <k6ll@juno.com>