[TowerTalk] KT-34XA

Dave Hachadorian k6ll@juno.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 10:03:14 -0600

On Tue, 29 Aug 2000 14:57:00 +0200 "i4jmy@iol.it"<i4jmy@iol.it> writes:

> I prefer to have 2 antennas. One with good F/B and better S/N
> heading
> in a "main" direction and another one to check other headings and
> elevations.
> Old KT34s has good features but surely not F/B.
> Who claims different didn't check with a spectrum analyzer but
> eventually mesured using an S meter where the indication is not
> logaritmic but linear (S0 to S7, typically) and divisions do not
> correspond 6 dB x unit.

Hi Maury,

An easy way to measure F/B is as follows:
1. Have a local direct-path station transmit at a constant power level.
2. Point your antenna away from the transmitting station.
3. Note the s-meter reading.
4. Point your antenna at the transmitting station.
5. Insert attenuation in the receive line until the s-meter reaches
   the first reading.
6. Read the F/B ratio off the attenuation setting.

If a good attenuator is not available, I suppose it could be done
with a wattmeter, by transmitting, and then reducing power until the
distant station's s-meter matches, and then, noting the two power
levels, use dB = 10 log P1/P2.

I agree that even the best XA does not have state-of-the-art F/B,
but mine, and W7WW's, both showed about 12 dB on 15 meters. From
my location, it's rather nice to attract some South Americans and
Carribbean while running JA's!

Ciao.

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Big Bear, CA