[TowerTalk] measuring F/B

Tom Rauch W8JI@contesting.com
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 16:20:09 -0400

> An easy way to measure F/B is as follows:
> 1. Have a local direct-path station transmit at a constant power level.

Remember that is groundwave F/B, which is useful for low angle
signals but does not necessarily reflect the "working F/B" you see
on the air

The major flaw with groundwave measurements is the earth greatly
attenuates horizontally polarized signals, while vertically polarized
signals have much less attenuation. Because of that, any feedline
radiation or scattering has an exaggerated and unpredictable
influence on results.

The most accurate F/B and gain measurements would occur with
distances just outside the Fresnel zone, and hopefully at the
desired wave angle. Ground level measurements would be best
with the absolute minimum amount of wavelength separation,
before the earth has a chance to affect the results. The longer the
path along earth and the more cluttered the area around the
antennas, behind the antennas, and in the path between the
antennas the less likely results would be accurate.

.
> Point your antenna away from the transmitting station.

But remember if any conductors (power lines, buildings, hills, etc)
are in that direction, F/B will be changed. This is especially true if
the path is longer than necessary to get out of the Fresnel zone of
the antenna.

 3. Note the s-meter
> reading. 4. Point your antenna at the transmitting station. 5. Insert
> attenuation in the receive line until the s-meter reaches
>    the first reading.
> 6. Read the F/B ratio off the attenuation setting.

> If a good attenuator is not available, I suppose it could be done
> with a wattmeter, by transmitting, and then reducing power until the
> distant station's s-meter matches, and then, noting the two power
> levels, use dB = 10 log P1/P2.

In this case remember the accuracy of a properly calibrated Bird
meter is only rated at plus or minus 5% of full scale, anywhere on
the scale. A 1000 watt slug would be + or - 50 watts anywhere on
the scale you read it, so it would be best to switch to a lower
power slug when calculating F/B ratio. In other words, set power at
1000 watts off the backside, and if head-on power is 9 watts for the
same reading use the low power slug to make the reading.

It's always important to understand the limits of the test method.

73, Tom W8JI
w8ji@contesting.com