[TowerTalk] New Tower Construction - Questions

Bill Coleman AA4LR aa4lr@radio.org
Thu, 31 Aug 2000 13:48:29 -0400

On 8/31/00 10:55 AM, K7LXC@aol.com at K7LXC@aol.com wrote:

>>  For instance, you need to know what dia. of rebar is
>>  required, the spacing, the method of tie, and how the rebar will be
>>  integrated with the tower.
>
>    It's in the Rohn book. In many cases, the rebar isn't structural but is
>there to keep the concrete from shrinking and cracking.

The base drawing I found in the Rohn catalog (albeit an older one circa
1990) did not indicate any rebar at all.

>> I normally do NOT recommend placing the tower itself in the cement.
>
>    Actually sinking a section in the base is pretty well accepted by most
>everyone. The bottom of the hole needs to have 4-6 inches of gravel in the
>bottom and the bottom of the section needs to rest on the gravel.

THIS is in the Rohn base drawing. It clearly indicates at least 6 inches
of gravel, and the ends of the tower must be at least 3 inches in the
gravel, minimum.

Bill Coleman, AA4LR, PP-ASEL        Mail: aa4lr@radio.org
Quote: "Boot, you transistorized tormentor! Boot!"
            -- Archibald Asparagus, VeggieTales