[TowerTalk] 4sqr

Pete Smith n4zr@contesting.com
Sat, 02 Dec 2000 14:07:53 -0500

At 12:25 PM 12/2/00 -0600, Tim Duffy wrote:
>Also, take a look at the 4 wire "Lazy V" parasitic antenna that was
published in
>QST several years ago by me, K3LC and WA3FET.
>
>It is a very good directional 160 antenna and would work very well on one
mode
>of 80 meters.

Actually, it works rather well on both modes of 80m, if you cut it for the
CW end and can live with the SWR on 75, or can jumper the bottom half of
each dipole as needed to adjust the resonance.  My modeling shows that it
remains directive well above the resonant frequency of the dipoles, but the
directivity deteriorates quickly below that frequency, and this is
certainly borne out when I use it on 75m.

Another footnote -- I believe the basic design was used by W9LT back in the
1970s, although ne never wrote it up and the QST article by Tim and his
co-authors included a lot of worthwhile scientific analysis.  LaMar's had
several towers with lazy-vee dipoles built into the top guy wires, which is
a clever way of achieving the desired geometry.  The forward lobe is so
broad that there is apparently relatively little difference in performance
between 3 and 4-dipole versions.

73, Pete N4ZR

Contesting is ... Extreme Radio

The World Contest Station Database