[TowerTalk] Re: [Antennas] Towers, CCRs and high-tension lines

hasan schiers schiers@netins.net
Mon, 4 Dec 2000 11:30:00 -0600

I lived in West Des Moines very near (within  a couple hundred feet) of that
same level of high tension line. They always contributed some noise when my
tri-bander was pointed directly at them. The amount of noise was
surprisingly low given how ominous they looked. I did find myself really
resenting it when I had to point at Africa, however. It didn't stop me from
having lots of fun, especially since my noise blanker actually worked pretty
well on it. Unblanked on some bands, I would see S3 to S5 background for
about a 20 or 30 degree beamwidth off the front. Working Europe or over the
pole, noise was not a problem. Ditto pointing South. I could still hear/see
noise off the back of the antenna, but rarely above S3. (All referring to
SSB filter bandwidth.)

Welcome to the area...I now live out in the sticks north of Ogden, IA (About
50 miles NW of you when you get to Des Moines. I frequent the 147.075
repeater in the early mornings. I'm active on SSTV, Satellites, (gearing up
for AO-40), and casually chase DX as well as operate a 2m/30m gateway for
APRS. 73

hasan schiers, N0AN
schiers@netins.net