[TowerTalk] CUSHCRAFT R7000+

Bill Coleman aa4lr@arrl.net
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 09:52:47 -0500

On 12/4/00 12:55, JORGE DIEZ - CX6VM at cx6vm@adinet.com.uy wrote:

>    Only one problem, some aluminium tubes are so short to be adjusted to
>our 40 mts cw portion of the band (7.000-7.025), so only few inches are into
>the other section, so I am afraid in the future, with some winds, the
>vertical will be damage at this point.

Cushcraft may not tell you this, but there are several versions of the
R7000.

The earliest versions had three identical BD tubes of 12" in length. This
was a little short to tune the bottom end of 40m. So in late-1996,
Cushcraft substituted a 18" tube for the top section. This made it much
easier to tune.

In Mid-1998, Cushcraft changed the design again, going to slightly
different traps. The main reason for the trap changes was to reduce
manufacturing variability. With this change, the one BD tube went to 5"
and the two BE tubes became 16". The BE tubes go on the top two traps,
and the BD tube between the lower two traps, changing the dimensions of
the antenna. Cushcraft also added the reinforcing BH and BI rods around
the bottom CT1 trap. Previously, this modification had only been part of
the 80m kit. But, due to some failures in the field, this reinforcing was
added to all antennas.

Cushcraft made some hardware changes in mid-1999, but no substantial
physical changes.

>    Now I have at my garake the 80 mts kit and have a question:
>
>    the manual says that I must modify all the dimensions of the R7000 when
>I add the 80 mts section.

Follow the manual. Adding the 80m section changes the loading of he
antenna slightly. Also the given dimensions may be more optimal for the
design.

>    I tought that I not need to modify the 10-40 mts R7000 and only add the
>80 mts kit up the final section.

Follow the manufacturers recommendation.

The R7000 resonance is primarily controlled by the trap frequencies. The
actual dimensions of the antenna make only a small difference.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901