[TowerTalk] Sommer antennas

Byron Peebles nz3o@arrl.net
Tue, 05 Dec 2000 22:55:16 -0500

Wes:

Not sure I agree.  My experience is that wide bandwidth antennas
work the multipliers in the high end of the band much quicker than
"real contesters" who have about 50 KHz of optimized bandwidth.

I use an MSquared 8 Element "Skip" Log Periodic and it worked
great against locals with much more "sophisticated aluminum" in the air.

In this year's WAE, I received reports of S9+50 using ~100 watts into Europe.
One Turkish mobile was especially emphatic.  So it receives well, too.

In CQWW, it certainly held its own against any of the multi-single stations in
the area.

I was building a SOA contest station when I put this in.  With an 87A you can
concentrate more on the CONTACT and less on the EQUIPMENT.

73, Byron