[TowerTalk] Log Periodics

i4jmy@iol.it i4jmy@iol.it
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 16:09:38 +0100

> "Since nobody can actually know the performance of their antenna, it
> has to be that antennas are 95% mental and 5% metal."
>
> 73 de Brian/K3KO

In case of horizontal polarized antenna, and expecially when the
antenna gain is moderate, the ground reflections at specific angles are
dominant to consistently reduce composite gain (even a total
cancellation may occurr) or to put an extra 6 dB gain.
In this case the comparison between antenna gain and individual results
may lead to wrong statements because all what happened depends by
peculiar and local factors.
An LP antenna has a gain that mostly depends by size (lenght) and
number of elements of the active cell.
The active cell, when antenna elements are few and boom is short, is
generally composed by 2 or 3 dipoles properly phased but closely spaced
and stated a band, the rest of the antenna out of the active cell is
practically uninfluent.
In other words, hardly a small LP can show a better gain than a
properly designed 2 elements yagi and such LP gain is 2 or 3 dB less
than a 3 elements yagi.
On the other hand, a long LP can have consistent gain but still it's
like to have different monobanders along the boom, each one using only
a part of it.
In terms of pure gain/boomlenght, an LP that covers a wide spectrum is
a quite poor performer compared with a monobander where active elements
are along the entire boom.

73,
Mauri I4JMY