[TowerTalk] Stacked Skip Log and Normal LP's and the Miligned L Network

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Fri, 8 Dec 2000 03:58:13 EST

In a message dated 12/6/00 8:22:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
wx0b@arraysolutions.com writes:
<<
 Thats not really a good idea Ken,  I would point out that an L network
 has a very small bandwidth. I suggest to do it a different way.  Use a
 matching nework that is broadbanded. Like the StackMatch wideband UN-UN
 transformer.

 Then the logs will have the proper impedance matching over their entire
 bandwidth.

 So this the technique.

 Run equal lengths of 50 ohm coax to a central point between the logs
 place your Stackmatch here, it will match the logs properly to select
 U/L/Both. Then run a line of hardline down to the shack. It can be CATV
 to save more money and have less loss.  Match it with a couple of 50:75
 ohm UN-UN Xfrms.

 L networks are work at one frequency.  And I know that K7GCO knows this,
 he probably just was in a hurry.

 Jay, WX0B

Jay: I will take some exception to your views based on a lot of use of the L
newtwork (and I was in a hurry). I have a great sytem for stacked beams that
you would even like but didn't have time to describe it.  Without attachments
even a simple circuit is hard to describe without a bunch of E-mails to
follow.  I will have a Web Site In SD as the SD Antenna Club with my old call
W Zero Lice, Mice & Bedbugs for material like this and some of the mags like
AntenneX which every TTer should read.  Cebik had a great LP with F/B like I
have never seen and will build.

First off it's assumed the Skip Log or Normal LP's that are horizontally
spaced (in this example) wide enough to minimize the affect each has on the
other when used indiviually and the different Z's pesented at the feedpoints
due to the difference in heights off the ground.  For this installation one
would have to live with the vertical pattern affects and Z's on each other
individually when only one or the other is used and the different Z affects
on each one from the ground.  A compromise spacing was suggested not for 15M
but 17M just to minimize this coupling problem.  I've never read anyone
warning of the affect one stacked beam has on the other when used
individually as I can do with my switching harness.  I saw the interference
in EZnec.  Most use both together full time which is a serious mistake.  The
spacing I suggsted is most likely too wide on 10M.  On 10M it sharpens the
free space vertical lobe even more but doesn't increase the gain and 2 ears
start to form.  On 20M the spacing is too close and the full 3 db gain is not
obtained but it's less of a compromise than if they were optimally spaced for
15M.

The pattern distortion when either one is used alone (to make use of the
different angles of radiation between the 2 beams) is a problem that I treid
to minimize.  Fortunately this problem is mimimized the higher the gain of
the beams used in stacks for 2 reasons.  The vertical patterns are
progressively sharper with gain which means less coupling between them
vertically when used separately and the spacing also has to be wider to
obtain the max gain with stacked beams--both +'s.  The LP's would couple to
each other more as their vertical patterns are much broader (why they work so
well close to the ground), and a closer electrical spacing is required when
stacked.  So the assumption is made that with equal length feedlines the Z at
the end of each feedline will be very close to each other and you will have
to live with it.  I also use my "Magic Length" of  91' 2" (.66 VF) or
multiples as it will be a 1/2 wave or multiples at 3.562, 7.125, 10.67,
14.25, 17.81, 21.375, 24.937& 28.5 MHz.  Resonant coax lengths reduce
reactances and repeats the R value of the Z at the feedpoint.  If longer
lengths are needed, you can add lengths of 45' 6.9" and the 1/2 wave
relationships will still hold.

I have a very simple matching harness that goes on a coax switch for this
application that allows full power to each beam indiviually or both together
using 2-75 ohm 1/4 wave stubs with a unique switching feature.  It has a big
bonus of giving addtional bandwidth when both are used due to the opposite
reactance the 75 ohm 1/4 wave stubs create above and below the center
frequency.  I've got a lot of rave notices of this sytem (at least worth a
dinner) from many on it including DXer Lou Gordon K4VX.  I didn't mention it
as the 1/4 wave stubs would have to be changed for each band.

Now for those who suggested the typical V stacking where both feed points are
tied together for simplicity and 1 feedline, this is a bad application for
this concept when using short boom Skip Logs.  It's the most usefull and
effective for very long boom LP's.  This physical configuration essentially
maintaines the same and optimum electrical spacing for the entire frequnecy
range and has a minimum V angle.  With short boom LP's, the beams would have
to be up to 90 degrees or more to each other to optimize and balance the
electrical spacing on the upper and lower bands.  Furthermore the part of the
vertical pattern pointing forward from each Skip Log would be down several dB
and pattern addition straight forward is not at all optimum--forget it.
Note! When 2 long wires are used in a Vee Beam configuration, they are
aligned so that each has a lobe going forward and parallel and only 3 db is
obtain in an optimum configuration.  I have such a V log here for the TV
Channels of minimum elements using also a staggered element elimination
design and the Vee stacking didn't do a thing for it.  Another compromize
failure.  We need more of those who maximize their designs (I've been known
to lean that way), not this damn "Minimal Design Bankruptcy" constantly
jammed down our throat that wastes everyone's money.

My L networks seem to be a bit broader than yours or I didn't think they were
narrow on applications just like this 25 proposed ohm load.  I also have what
I call "One Knob Antenna Tuners" in 4 switchable L network configurations,
shunt and series capacitance and inductance. It does lots of things.
Visualize this.  The variable Xc (I use them a lot) is on the same shaft as
on the inductor.  As I rotate the inductor through each turn, the Xc goes
through 2 complete cycles and in about 5 seconds, I can tune through the
entire range of many many Z's it will match--in 4 different configurations.
So I find 1:1 SWR real fast and can touch it up quickly off frequency if
needed.

I've used this L Network configuration in a similar application.  Visualize 2
yagi's on the same boom at right angles to each other in the "X
Configuration".  Each yagi is fed with equal length feedlines.  CBer's had a
similar beam in a + configuration where they selected either horizontal or
vertical polarization.  The vertically polarized DE had to be a different
length and had other adjustments than the horizontal DE used due to the heavy
coupling to the mast.  The tower was excited and lift off of the vertaical
pattern was substantial.  I used the X configuration to reduce this coupling
and to balance it up so the load of each beam for the coax was the same.  It
still coupled but I have a way to get rid of the tower interference now when
vertically polarized.  I'm adapting it to a quad DE--when I get time.

I have a switch box that allows me to select 6 different polariztions from
this "X Beam."  I can select either beam for 45 degree polarization left or
right (direct feed), horizontal polarization (1/2 power in each beam in
phase), vertical polarization (1/2 power to each beam 180 degrees out of
phase) and turnstile polarization CW or CCW with 1/2 power in each 90 or -90
degrees out of phase.  To obtain 90 or 180 degree phasing I switch in these
lengths of coaxes in series with one coax in the proper way.  For matching
in-phase, the coaxes are paralleled for 25 ohms and matched with (you guessed
it) an L Network.  It uses relatively small coils and variable Xc's for 1 KW
levels without heating or arcing in a small space--3 of them.  Once the
proper inductor of the L Network was found and tuned up in the middle of the
band I seldom had to adjust the Xc in the band edges.  I had all the
bandwidth I needed with the matching and phasing hardware in a small box and
saw no need to look for a better system.  I could have used 2-75 ohm stubs
for the matching part but didn't for reasons I don't remember--some 50 years
later.  A CB mfg in Chicago tried to swindle the design out of me--but
failed.  I seems that most mfgs want everything I got free despite contracts.
 He could have had a great money maker for us both laid in his hands but out
right greed cost him (and me) dearly.  He could have had several other unique
designs also.  Industry is notorious for this parctice but there are
exceptions.

Anyhow horizontally stacked Skip or Norma Logs is a similar Z matching design
and by having a calibrated variable inductor and Xc you can preset for each
band or inbetween frequency very quickly instead of changing 1/4 wave stubs
for each band or frequency for a match.  I'm anxious to try my "L-Network
Match Box" on horizontally stacked LP's myself.  I see no reason to use
another matching system at this time but would like to see a better system
for flexibilty.  Send me the details of the Stack Match and I'll see if I can
adapt it.  I have the flexibilty of selecting the top, bottom or both LP's in
the shack--without relays.  I like to maximize the full potential of any
system.  If I can get more bandwidth I'm interested.  I think I'll have
plenty of bandwidth as with the LP's I won't have the reactance swings
typical with parasitic beams.  Now I bet you knew that. Your concern of L
Network use has been deminished by LP's.  Long live the L-Network until
something else comes along that's better for this application.

Although I was in a hurry I arrived at my suggested simple desgin I posted on
TT in about 5 seconds considering all these details I've explained here as
I've "been there and done that" in similar applications.  It took about 10
minutes to Post--but many hours to answer.  I've found that if I give too
much info or too little (and without attachments) I have to justify or supply
even more info--which I always do.  I would hope that you TTer's would by now
have a little more confidence in my suggstions.  If I say it works--it works.
 I'd like to remind you that you also got the info free of charge.  There are
some with linited insights that make "great demands" for more and more free
info as they can't derive it themselves. They are a form of "Technical
Parasites" on "Technical Welfare."   I normally charge for technical
information. (If I charged you for what I said, would you have more
confidence in it?)   I thought I'd make a quick suggestion, I was properly
challenged and I may and often learn of new techniques myself which I'm
always open for.

Horizontally Stacking LP's is a great idea that I started getting myself
about 15 years ago with the availability of them from 14 MHz to higher
frequencies and I knew how to match 2 of them stacked real easy.  About 40
years ago I tested one of the first LP's of the first designers of it by the
name of Dewight Isbel came up with.  It was flat from 60 to 150 MHz at 93
ohms.  I still have a picture somewhere of it and Isbel.  He worked for
Boeing in a fancy Antenna Lab and I didn't, yet I was testing it for him.

The lower gain of LP's is no detriment--it's an asset most of the time when
properly used.  It's been a victom of unifomed critics who have never used
one. I'll have 2 M2 Skip Logs's stacked in SD (if I ever get there)
matched--you guessed it--with L Networks or a better sytesm if there is one.
This should explain why I do what I do (have I ever mis-led you?).  During
the mean time there should be some serious study of the life and times of the
"unseen vertical pattern" as you rotate the beam, its size relationship (it's
wider) to the horizontal pattern, gain and Reflection Factors.  It's time for
more of you to get on Eznec and read AntenneX mag on internet.  It's read in
over 170 countries now.  k7gco
                                "Now you know the rest of the L Network
story."