[TowerTalk] Re: Stacked Skip Log and Normal LP's and the Maligned L Network

Jay Terleski wx0b@arraysolutions.com
Fri, 08 Dec 2000 14:42:43 -0600

Ken,

This is way to much for me to respond to.

Bottom line:

Your L-network is way to difficult for anyone to make.  A Wide band
transformer works every time and and for everyone.

I Have stacked over 1600 yagis, quads, LPDAs, and Tribanders, and
verticals with this technique.  The interaction is minimimal if
noticable at all at .5 WL.

I just did a big deal on a VHF/UHF radar set up with two T31 Teannadyne
Logs (nice beam!)

110mhz to 500 Mhz and the wide band xfmr I made for them works.

I doubt very much if an L network would ever work with out a ton of
switching out of L and C.

Plus the relay or switch inductance would  be impossible to predict and
correct for in my lifetime.

Its not worth the effort to use L netorks over one band.

Sorry to disagree with you but your not going to convince me it will
work otherwise.

What your saying is you have 4 L networks for each band segment.  This
is not a practicle solution.

Use an Un-UN and enjoy being on the air.

Love to continue but there is a contest on in a few hours, and I have 3
stacks to play with all using Un-Uns.

73,
Jay

K7GCO@aol.com wrote:

> TT: I apologize but I sent this a few minutes ago accidentally without a
> spell check.  Please DELETE the previous one even from the Archives if
> possible and use this one.  I'll try not to do that again.  k7gco
>
> << In a message dated 12/6/00 8:22:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
> wx0b@arraysolutions.com writes:
>  <<
>   That's not really a good idea Ken, I would point out that an L network
>   has a very small bandwidth. I suggest to do it a different way.  Use a
>   matching network that is broadbanded. Like the StackMatch wideband UN-UN
>   transformer.
>
>   Then the logs will have the proper impedance matching over their entire
>   bandwidth.
>
>   So this the technique.
>
>   Run equal lengths of 50 ohm coax to a central point between the logs
>   place your Stackmatch here, it will match the logs properly to select
>   U/L/Both. Then run a line of hardline down to the shack. It can be CATV
>   to save more money and have less loss.  Match it with a couple of 50:75
>   ohm UN-UN Xfrms.
>
>   L networks are work at one frequency.  And I know that K7GCO knows this,
>   he probably just was in a hurry.
>
>   Jay, WX0B
>    >>
>  Jay: I will take some exception to your views based on a lot of use of the L
> network (and I was in a hurry). I have a great system for stacked beams that
> you would even like but didn't have time to describe it.  Without attachments
> even a simple circuit is hard to describe without a bunch of E-mails to
> follow.  I will have a Web Site in SD as the SD Antenna Club with my old call
> W Zero Lice, Mice & Bedbugs for material like this and some of the mags like
> AntenneX which every TTer should read.  Cebik had a great LP with F/B like I
> have never seen and will build.
>
>  First off it's assumed the Skip Log or Normal LP's that are horizontally
> spaced (in this example) wide enough to minimize the affect each has on the
> other when used individually and the different Z's presented at the
> feedpoints due to the difference in heights off the ground.  For this
> installation one would have to live with the vertical pattern affects and Z's
> on each other individually when only one or the other is used and the
> different Z affects on each one from the ground.  A compromise spacing was
> suggested not for 15M but 17M just to minimize this coupling problem.  I've
> never read anyone warning of the affect one stacked beam has on the other
> when used individually as I can do with my switching harness.  I saw the
> interference in Eznec.  Most use both together full time which is a serious
> mistake.  The spacing I suggested is most likely too wide on 10M.  On 10M it
> sharpens the free space vertical lobe even more but doesn't increase the gain
> and 2 ears start to form.  On 20M the spacing is too close and the full 3 dB
> [...]

Jay Terleski
WX0B - Array Solutions
www.arraysolutions.com