[TowerTalk] Log Periodics & 2 Element Beams

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Sat, 9 Dec 2000 05:54:48 EST

In a message dated 12/8/00 1:39:14 PM Pacific Standard Time,
n4zr@contesting.com writes:

<<
 Extrapolating only slightly, I think there is even less of a case to be
 made for a single-band LPDA without parasitic elements, since such an
 antenna offers the worst of both worlds -- less gain, less F/B, greater
 weight and complexity, and no better useful SWR bandwidth than an
 equivalent-boomlength OWA yagi or other modern design.

 73, Pete N4ZR >>

You may be right but unless you have tested them side by side you don't know
for sure.  Who makes a 1 Band only Log?  The Skip Log of M2 is a very useful
antenna.  Logs have been unjustly bad mouthed by those who have never used
them.  I was affected by their misinformation for a while myself.  I keep
telling of what lower gain beams do at say 40-50'.  I have used and can put
up any antenna I want and I will have different 2 element quads and LP's at
low, medium and high in the air for their many advantages.  I can install
them all by myself, they are low cost have minimum maintenance and have great
bandwidth.  They often "kick butt" also.  I'll have higher gain beams also
high in the air for that DX low angle but from a % of use standpoint--it's
used far less.  The 2 element Raibeam has very good bandwidth and F/B on a
short boom.  They have a tribander also and 3,4 & 5 element yagi's.

The higher angles are very useful most of the time on all bands for the
entire 11 year cycle.  The lower gain (not angle) beams are a "Best
Investment."  I call them a "Mandatory Starter Antenna," great for trailer
parks, self supporting towers, use smaller rotators and you just keep using
them.  They also work great at say 100'.  Many hams just can't handle the
bigger beams.  They do a great job when stacked also and at a much lower
cost.  Stack spacing is a bit closer also than the big ones.  I know of no
one stacking 2 element beams.  K7GCO