[TowerTalk] Rohn 45 takedown

K7LXC@aol.com K7LXC@aol.com
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 14:23:33 EST

In a message dated 12/11/00 10:15:55 AM Pacific Standard Time,
davidw@copper.net writes:

> 2. What is the worth of the 8-year-old KLM34?

    I take towers down and generally 'credit' the owner with $100 for the
antenna towards the bill. That way the owner gets rid of it and you've got
some room to make a couple of bucks if you resell it. If the owner wants more
than that, let him deal with selling it. It saves the owner the hassle of
selling it if you 'buy' it.

    Many antennas are just salvage value due to age or manufacturer so the
resale value IMO is about $150 which is a good deal for all involved if it's
in okay shape.

>  3. Is it worth it to buy that 'Tower Jack' I see advertised, for 'easy'
>  separation just for this job?

    It depends. If the tower sections come apart easily (and sometimes they
do), you wouldn't have needed it. OTOH, if the sections don't come apart
easily, you'll thank the tower gods that you had it. If you use it once, it
will have paid for itself. You can get them at http://www.championradio.com.

>  4. What's a fair charge for doing this job in turn-key-style?

     If you're going to get paid real money for doing this work, you are then
a 'professional' and are subject to all the laws and regulations that apply.
Typically in most states you need a contractor's license, insurance and
bonding. If you don't have it, you'll be doing yourself and your customer a
disservice since you are both wide open to liability exposure in case
something happens.

Cheers,   Steve   K7LXC
Tower Tech