[TowerTalk] Hammers vs. Mosley

K7GCO@aol.com K7GCO@aol.com
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 16:00:54 EST

    In regard to Hammer Vs Mosley, bad customer relations IS definitely a TT
subject of the highest order.  Anyone who spends $5000 for anything deserves
a working and finished product--he didn't get it from what I read.  I've
purchased more things and toys than most and would suggest to those who are
sick of hearing this stuff, your attitude will change when you get shafted on
a bad product enough times and end up trying to resolve it.  It will cost you
a couple hundred hours of time and other distractions and a big chuck of
money--and the shafters know it.

  I have dealt with so many mfgs about defective equipment and ways of
getting things resolved, that it was a big factor in my getting into full
time Quality Assurance Engineering at Boeing.  It's actually far more
profitable to mfg "finished" high quality products and to purchase them.
I've arranged for Special Ovens in Hell for Junk Dealers.  Some mfgs never
learn this and end up paying for it as do many customers.  "Mosley Design
Incompetence of Unfinished Products" can really do you in, in many ways.  For
those who don't like defective products reports--"There is a delete key.
Just a little flick 'll do ya.  Don't like it.  Don't read it.  Guy Oliner."

 The main thing I noticed in the Mosley problem was the beams design was not
finalized when it was sold and apparently for some time after.  It wasted
$5000 and many times that in time and frustration.  Had he purchased a M2
beam with great customer relations from what I read in TT and many other
sources, Hammer would be on the air enjoying a high sun spot cycle having a
ball with a well designed beam in which no modifications are needed?  I've
purchased an older poorly designed linear at a good price I thought one time
and it took 10 major fixes due to design deficiencies I found and 3 years
time to get them all fixed--finally.  One lead to another and another-on and
on.

 I read in a "Keeping Customers Book" an example of potential sales loss over
a period of time of just one dissatisfied grocery customer can have.  Low
paid sales clerks who have most all the customer contact of big companies can
literally cost the company large sums of money totally unknown to management.
 Smart companies are now training the low level employees to eliminate this
problem.  However, Hammers has been dealing with Engineers who are trying to
cover up a bad and incomplete design and hope he goes away.  This crap goes
on all the time.

 Carl Sewell wrote a book on How To Make Life time Customers.  He's a
Cadillac & Lexis Car Dealer in Dallas who advanced and polished the concept
of "Customer Relations" to such a high degree that his business went from $50
Million to $250 Million a year.  This is an unprecedented and never heard of
before increase in a very competitive business.  His success points out the
sales potential when you take care of your customers properly or better than
the rest who frequently do it at a bare bones level.  Sewell felt he got took
a time or two but on his daily trip to the bank in a Brink's Armored Car, he
had more important things to worry about--like Armored Car Robbers.  Mosley
ought to read this book and perhaps one on Basic Antenna Design 101.

 With a Porsche I found out another thing to watch out for big time.  "The
more expensive your toys or necessities the longer the line of leaches and
incompetents that line up to screw you out of all your money."  I had an
accident I didn't create that should have cost about $3000 to fix.  By the
time the problem was finally resolved some 10 years later even with lawyers,
it was very costly indeed.  After being given the first estimate I didn't
realize what the Porsche Service Gal tried to tell me.  She said "Do you
really want to fix up this car?  Now I know!  The shady Body and other Repair
Guys know what it will cost you to go the lawyer route and do their thing
accordingly.  Even the dealers rip their customers off and this is why good
private Porsche Mechanics get large amounts of the Porsche repair business.
The reason I mention this is getting a lawyer suggested below is seldom a
solution, he's often a bigger problem than you are trying to fix but
sometimes a necessity.

 In fraud cases that could be proved and you go to the police--good luck.
They have so many cases to investigate that their lower limit of loss is
around $500,000 I'm told depending where you live.

 Tom Peters said:
                  Having satisfied customers is no longer sufficient.  You
must have absolutely delighted customers to just survive the next decade.

 It took me many years to finally figure out a way not to get ripped
off--don't buy anything.  Now on the other hand I do need a new rig, antenna,
camera or gun from time to time.  Buy from those who have treated you right
in the past, check the design very carefully, get the specs, talk to the
engineer who designed it, talk to present owners, barrow one if you can or
buy on a return basis, compare it to existing models (The TA-33 was not a
great Legacy) and check out Customer Relations.  You will save a lot of money
and grief.

No lives were lost above.  The cover ups and gag orders of the settlement of
Firestone (and now others) tire deaths going on the over the last 20 years
unfortunately didn't get any exposure--until now.  It finally did.  As was
suggested, if you are tired of reading of customer problems, tell it to those
who lost loved ones.  Remember "Boycotts Trump--WD4K".  Proper exposure
alerts potential customers from bad investments.  K7GCO

 In a message dated 12/13/00 8:54:15 PM Pacific Standard Time, w0hh@msn.com