[TowerTalk] Crank-UP Tower Cables.

Gary McDuffie, Sr. ag0n@arrl.net
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 12:24:18 -0700

On Sat, 16 Dec 2000 18:21:48 +0000, John Cramond wrote:

> Any more than three broken wires and the wire rope
> would be condemned.

Maybe I'm "too" cautious, but I would toss it if there were ONE broken
strand in the cable.  If there is one, there will soon be others, and
could be some you're not finding.

I may be playing with fire, but, as with you, I don't follow recommended
replacement periods either.  If the cable is cared, it should last.  You
should inspect it frequently.  The one on my tower is now 15 years old,
and is in excellent condition.  On the other hand, the cable on the gin
pole, which had been used only a couple of times, had to be replaced.

See www.qsl.net/ag0n for the tower project pages. After over a year and
a half, I finally got the web pages done after Thanksgiving this year.

Gary

ag0n at arrl dot net